Tuesday, July 22, 2008

No One You Know by Michelle Richmond

When Lila Enderlin, a brilliant Stanford math student, goes missing and is found murdered her family begins a slow disintegration. Her parents eventually divorce and her sister Ellie's life is changed forever. Ellie was also a college student at the time and she turned to a trusted teacher and friend, Andrew Thorpe. She met him frequently and confided in him all of the details about her sister's murder and how her family was coping.


When Andrew Thorpe publishes a true crime book about Lila's murder, the whole family is devastated. He had used Ellie's confidences and gone behind her back to write a book that would make him famous and establish him as a writer. He was unconcerned about the effect this would have on the Enderlin family, who knew nothing about it until it hit bookstores.


Twenty years later Ellie is still dealing with the repercussions of her sister's death. She is successful in her job as a coffee buyer. As she travels the world she is able to use her job as an excuse to escape. She has difficulty maintaining relationships.


In his book, Andrew Thorpe had "deduced" who the killer was, though the police never made an arrest. Lila had been having an affair with a fellow math whiz at Stanford, Peter McConnell, and this was the man who had been accused of her murder.

A chance meeting in a small South American town brings Ellie face to face with her sister's lover. Against her better judgement she agrees to listen to his side of the story. She can't help but be intrigued with what he has to say. This meeting will send Ellie back to the beginning, on a hunt to find the real murderer and uncover the truth behind that terrible night. If she can find an answer for herself and her family, maybe they can repair their damaged lives.

I really enjoyed this well written and fast paced novel!

Order No One You Know from Amazon

1 comment:

Kathleen Gilligan said...

This sounds good, but I'm not sure I'm ready for another missing/murdered person book so soon after "Songs for the Missing" by Stewart O'Nan.


Thoughts from an Evil Overlord

Thank you!!

Thank you to Beth at Beth Fish Reads and to The Blogger Guide for helping me to customize my template and to Andrea at The Little Bookworm for improving my header!!

About Me

My photo
New Hampshire, United States
Bibliophile, Anglophile, Traveller... I have been an avid reader all of my life, since I took the Dr. Seuss Dictionary away from my Mom when I was less than a year old because I wanted to read it myself. In college, where I earned my degree in English Literature, I was often asked "What are you going to do with it?" Now I finally have the answer to that question!!! Being employed as a Flight Attendant for twenty years has given me a lot of life experience and, better still, a lot of time to read. I love to travel for fun, too.