Saturday, August 29, 2009

Saturday Suggestions: The Eagle and the Raven by Pauline Gedge



Synopsis from Amazon:

Spanning three generations, this historical novel tells the tale of Boudicca, the most famous warrior of ancient Britain, and Caradoc, the son of a Celtic king, who sets out to unite the people of the Raven and lead them against Rome. Caradoc's objective is not easily accomplished as the Roman army advances into Britain, raping Celtic women and burning villages to the ground. His efforts are also met with fierce opposition from Aricia, the vain queen of a northern tribe who swears allegiance to the Romans after Caradoc slights her, and from Gladys, Caradoc’s warrior sister who falls in love with her Roman captor. Unfortunately, Caradoc’s endeavors are left unresolved when he is taken prisoner, but Boudicca, a strong-willed woman, ultimately takes up the cause that was Caradoc’s legacy.

The Eagle and the Raven by Canadian author Pauline Gedge was originally published in 1978. I picked it up in the early 1990s and it was one of the books that started my love of historical fiction. The rest of Pauline Gedge's historicals are set in Ancient Egypt and I love those, too (I've mentioned them several times on my blog in the past). But this one was the first and it does hold a special place in my heart. It has been reprinted recently by Chicago Review Press! You can find out more about this book and all of Pauline Gedge's books at her website.

2 comments:

Daphne said...

I read this a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I was glad to see it reissued.

Zibilee said...

I love historical fiction, but have never come across this title. It sounds like a great read, I'll have to grab a copy of this when I get a chance.


Thoughts from an Evil Overlord

Thank you!!

Thank you to Beth at Beth Fish Reads and to The Blogger Guide for helping me to customize my template and to Andrea at The Little Bookworm for improving my header!!

About Me

My photo
New Hampshire, United States
Bibliophile, Anglophile, Traveller... I have been an avid reader all of my life, since I took the Dr. Seuss Dictionary away from my Mom when I was less than a year old because I wanted to read it myself. In college, where I earned my degree in English Literature, I was often asked "What are you going to do with it?" Now I finally have the answer to that question!!! Being employed as a Flight Attendant for twenty years has given me a lot of life experience and, better still, a lot of time to read. I love to travel for fun, too.