Saturday, July 12, 2008

Woman of a Thousand Secrets by Barbara Wood


The year is 1323 and this historical novel begins on a small island off of the coast of Cuba called Pearl Island. Tonina is twenty-one years old and lives with her Grandparents, but she is not related to them. When she was a baby she was found floating in a watertight basket by the islanders and has been raised among them. Unfortunately, as much as her foster Grandparents love her they cannot protect her from being ostracised from the rest of the group because of her differences. They are short and dark-skinned, she is tall with golden skin and light hair. She will never find a mate on the island where she is considered ugly. So, in order to encourage her to leave the island, her Grandmother makes up a quest and sends her in search of a mythical healing red flower.

Her journey will take her to mainland Central America and plunge her into the Mayan culture. She meets other travellers and forms friendships and bonds but always remembers her quest. Along with new friends and making some enemies, she travels in the ancient jungles and high mountains of Guatemala and Mexico. She survives many trials but along the way learns about her family and her heritage.

I found the descriptions of Mayan cities and people fascinating. The myths of the cultures of the time, as described in the book, bear a striking resemblance to Christianity. It was interesting to read that an early group of people, before the time of Columbus, had myths including a legendary bearded white man whom they belived would return at the time of their greatest need.

I really enjoyed this book, the first I have read by Barbara Wood. I look forward to reading more of her novels.

Woman of a Thousand Secrets will be published in September, 2008 by St. Martin's Griffin.

Order Woman of a Thousand Secrets from Amazon

5 comments:

Ruth King said...

I requested this book (Weren't there so many great choices in the last batch?!) but was selected for another. This sounds like an intriguing read. I'll have to pick this up once it's officially released. Thanks for the review!

Kathleen Gilligan said...

I think I requested this too, although if I didn't, I should have. It's def going on my TBR list, thanks :)

Aunt Kathy said...

I received this as an early reviewer as well and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've read a number of her books before - but except for DOMINA - this has been my favorite.

I like your blog!

tashiana said...

this looks like a pretty good read
i like reading about mayan and aztec and incan culture
and kewlio thi sis my last comment for your 2008 reviews--on to 2009!

Becca said...

It sounds like this would be a great adventure story. And reading about the Mayan culture would be very interesting. I love the cover too.


Thoughts from an Evil Overlord

Thank you!!

Thank you to Beth at Beth Fish Reads and to The Blogger Guide for helping me to customize my template and to Andrea at The Little Bookworm for improving my header!!

About Me

My photo
New Hampshire, United States
Bibliophile, Anglophile, Traveller... I have been an avid reader all of my life, since I took the Dr. Seuss Dictionary away from my Mom when I was less than a year old because I wanted to read it myself. In college, where I earned my degree in English Literature, I was often asked "What are you going to do with it?" Now I finally have the answer to that question!!! Being employed as a Flight Attendant for twenty years has given me a lot of life experience and, better still, a lot of time to read. I love to travel for fun, too.